I teach my carpentry and joinery woodworking course in my own professional workshop in Madrid. For more than 30 years I have shared my profession with lovers of wood. I teach the trade step by step with a well defined and progressive agenda. They are small groups of adult students who generally come to learn to work with wood and have fun half a day a week. We work mainly by hand with saws, brushes, chisels and solid wood.
My passion for the trade comes from afar; Since I was little, my father and grandfather have taught me to love wood and well-made furniture, then in different schools I have been able to progress and overcome the barrier of “style furniture” and design my own collection of designer furniture.
My purpose now is to share this knowledge with you and for the “art of woodworking” to be reborn.
This course in carpentry and cabinetmaking is designed to learn from a agenda that I have been improving over the years so that the fundamental bases of the trade are known.
AGENDA 1ST COURSE OF CARPENTRY AND woodworking – 130 HOURS
- Basic cutting exercises with saw and chisels.
- Sharpening of tools such as chisel and brush.
- Handling of tools to see the correct position of the body and the tool.
- Study of the carpenter’s brush squaring a rustic wood and leaving it clean.
- We are going to see little by little the main woods used in cabinetmaking, marquetry and carving.
- Realization of a jewelry box with solid wood, dovetails and inlaid of different woods. Creation of a hairpin and inlaid frame.
- Making a wooden toy or a carpentry tool.
- Manufacture of an auxiliary table with initiation to geometric marquetry personalized by each student.
During the course we will see the professional criteria to correctly carry out the work. The technology of the wood trade, know the tools and the assemblies there are to work with wood.
AGENDA 2ND COURSE OF CARPENTRY AND woodworking – 130 HOURS
- Valsaín pine stool with box and herringbone assemblies as well as an introduction to geometric carving.
- Beech wood tray, sapelli and personalized by each one with marquetry and crossbow saw.
- Cabinet with a secret drawer adjusted with guides and personalized by each one with carving or marquetry.
- We will see some mounting systems of modern furniture.
- Each piece of furniture will be finished with wax, oil, shellac varnish to water-based varnish crankpin, so we will learn the wood finishes.
The idea is to complete the basic training essential to understand the trade of the carpenter and cabinetmaker and therefore, be able to make their own furniture with professional and artistic criteria or as a designer-cabinetmaker.
Each student goes at their own rhythm, it is not a competition but a step by step learning and enjoying the wood.
AGENDA 3RD COURSE OF CARPENTRY AND WOODWORKING – 130 HOURS
Once the first 2 years have been completed (the minimum recommended), you can start making your own designs.
- Materials on the market: wood and derivatives.
- The function and form of a piece of furniture.
- Colors, textures and finishes: the choice according to the piece to be manufactured.
- Ergonomics: study of standard measures to adapt them to human beings.
- Designer’s working methods: tools to carry out a project. Types of models, molds …
- Manufacturing and production techniques: from the artisan to large serial production.
* It is included in the training, some visits to wood suppliers, trade events and furniture fair according to the calendar.
AT THE END OF THE 3 YEARS, A DIPLOMA WILL BE AWARDED TO EACH STUDENT WITH THE NUMBER OF HOURS MADE.
I propose you to follow in my footsteps on this long path that is carpentry and cabinetmaking.
For a few years I have also had more than 70 hours of ONLINE COURSES on carpentry, joinery, marquetry, furniture restoration and finishes, woodworking machines … and many more.
To see all the details about the face-to-face courses, schedules, prices and the online courses that I offer you, you can write me an email at the link below or visit my second website: carpentry courses information
* All the furniture made by each student, will be taken home.
«The hand that dominates the tool will be the Master of woodworking.»
If you are interested and wish to know more information about the courses, timetables and prices, click on this link.